POSTPONED: Teaching & Learning Circle: Early Undergraduate Research in your Classroom
|Date/Time:||Thursday, 06 Oct 2016 at 2:30 pm|
|Location:||2030 Morrill Hall|
|Channel:||Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT)|
Cinzia Cervato and Dave Flory (Geological and Atmospheric Sciences, Martin Acerbo (Psychology), Massimo Marengo (Physics and Astronomy) and Alexis Campbell (BBMB), from the Research Laboratory Faculty Learning Community (rFLC) share low-cost ways to involve undergraduate students (particularly freshmen) in research projects across a range of disciplines, some of which involve service learning and practical applications impacting communities.
This four-session discussion circle will help you build ways to incorporate meaningful disciplinary undergraduate research into your course. Free and low-cost data sets, demonstrations, remote instruments and other resources will be shared to help you design ways undergraduates can use real data in coursework. Participants will leave this circle with a project ready to implement in their own discipline and classroom.
Due to low enrollment we are postponing this series & intend to offer in spring 2017
== Bill Gallus, Professor, Geological and Atmospheric Sciences
== Dave Flory, Senior Lecturer, Geological and Atmospheric Sciences
== Martin Acerbo, Lecturer, Psychology
What is a Teaching & Learning Circle?
Teaching & Learning Circles are groups of people who meet once weekly (or bi-weekly) for 4-6 times to discuss topics of common interest and/or books.
Registration is required to attend all 4 consecutive meetings
*Registration is required for this event prior to October 5, 2016.*
*Register for CELT events online through the Learn@ISU website website:*
1. Visit the Learn@ISU website
2. Login with your Net-ID (username) and password (upper right corner) *Note:* Your Net-ID will be the prefix in your ISU email account ([netid]@iastate.edu)
3. Click the Login button
4. Locate the Keyword search box (upper left section) > Input "CELT" > Click Search
5. Locate the program > Click List Events next to the appropriate cohort/program
6. Click Enroll - a pop-up window will appear
7. Click Register
8. You will receive an email with the subject: Enrollment Confirmation
By Email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. your name
2. your department
3. your position (instructor, faculty, P&S staff, or teaching or graduate assistantship)
4. name of the event
5. date of the event
By Phone at 294-5357.
This event is coordinated by The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching